Author Topic: Generic Inheritable Verbs  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Sluggy

• Friend
    • View Profile
    • Stellarmass
Generic Inheritable Verbs
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:14 pm »
I have quite a task ahead of me in order to program class abilities into our mud. The trouble is, I don't really want to add new 'direct/indirect' applies every time I create one.

The system I've worked out uses three main elements. The first one is the skills-system already built into DS and the second is the commands/verbs-system likewise. The third is something I've written from scratch called the Effects System. Basically it is a daemon that carries several generic handlers for all the different 'effects' that an ability might have. It just handles things like costs, bonuses, ensuring combat/not combat requirements are met before actually performing the ability's custom code. it also ties all of this into the combat system automatically when necessary.

My idea was to try to create a generic verb for each of these effects and the inherit all the specific ability verbs from the appropriate effect verb. This would then only require me to write about eight applies that would work for everything inheriting them. However, I'm not meeting with success at all so I'm not even sure if this is possible. Any clues?

On the side, what file should inherit the object that contains all of these applies (regardless of whichever method I use). I was thinking 'object.c' perhaps?