Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dead Souls!  (Read 10312 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Happy Birthday Dead Souls!
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:18:48 am »

I meant to post this last week, but things got crazy IRL.

The Dead Souls resurrection project is now officially one year old!

I feel very lucky, and very honored, and very happy.

A year ago, I had the hesitant, timid hope that maybe

a few people would pick up and start using DS again.

My wildest dream ran along the lines of what is

happening now: a growing and vibrant developer community.

I have devoted a pathological amount of my waking hours

over the past year to this project. It has been incredibly

rewarding for me...and that makes me a lucky person. There

are many people out there with the same level of

dedication and skill whose projects met with scant success.

I have learned a lot, and it has been my pleasure to

see that my work is appreciated and adopted by others.

That was the whole point, and having it realized in the

space of one short year is a joy.

I want to thank you all. Without your input, harassment,

and encouragement, Dead Souls 2 couldn't have gotten as

far as quickly as it has.

As you know, my ambition is still greater: I hope that

DS2 can serve as a kickstart to a reflowering of widespread

LP adoption. I hope that DS2 can serve as a beacon of

hope to others working on libs for DGD or CD or LD or

what-have-you. If you build it, they will come...but

remember the model that worked here: community.

When you start your lib project, make it so that users

can communicate freely, and immediately. If I had to rate

"the smartest things I did", setting up intermud

channels for Dead Souls muds is #1. By making it a shared

experience to start a mud it made it less difficult

and much more enjoyable for new admins. I think that

a big killer in the "starting a new mud" process

is how *lonely* it is, and how that friendlessness

leads to feeling like a loser wasting her time, and

ultimate discouragement.

DS2's embrace of intermud, I think, was key in eliminating

that problem. And it's my hope that this forum site will

be another tool in building and maintaining that

supportive community.

If there's something that would make me happier than the

great success DS enjoys now it would be seeing other

LP libs use this site for communication and bridge

building between communities. I'm hoping to see a renaissance

that isn't just about "Crat's Lib", but also uses those

experiences to develop on their own.

My message to you: It Can Be Done.

So, I would ask everyone reading this to spread the word

that lpmuds are back, and a great alternative to the

other codebases. If you see someone hesitating about

what codebase to use, don't hesitate to recommend lp.

And of course, mention this site wherever appropriate!

Thanks again, everybody, and let's look forward to continued success.

And a final bit of nostalgia: http://dead-souls.net/the_beginning.txt">http://dead-souls.net/the_beginning.txt

daelaskai

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:43:38 am »

Congrats on a very positive first year!

But one thing I know for certain... you ain't seen nothing yet!

On the start page I state that we are not out to 'Change the World'. But Dead Souls is going to have a lasting impact on MudLand, a big one.

A.T

(-)

Offline tigwyk

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:16:12 am »

Congratulations, Crat, and good work.

I agree wholeheartedly with you saying that starting a mud is a lonely process. Unless you're starting a paymud and you've already got a team of professional coders lined up... most people start with an idea, and then they can maybe grab a friend or two to pitch in when it's convenient. By adding intermud to DS2 right out of the box, you've opened up the experience to the entire i3 community. I was amazed when I first logged into my mud to find that people were talking on channels, and I could actually ask them questions! That was INVALUABLE. Most helpful thing EVER!

The community that's been established is awesome, and the people offering tips and tricks and solutions... well they're angels in this underworld.

Thank you, Crat, thank you Alexander, Capo, Aransus, Detah, Ninja, and everyone else who I missed. You guys are AWESOME!

I never thought I'd get as far as I have with my mud (and that's not even very far) but with the community so easily accessible... well I've had nothing but the best help in getting things going.

Praise to DeadSouls2, and praise to Cratylus for resurrecting a great lib.

sircuri

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:12:49 pm »

Wow.

As a brand new member on the scene, I would have thought this had been going on for much longer than a year. I've played lp muds on and off for a while, most recently one I started playing in January and am still quite addicted. But my ten years of mud experience has mostly centered around diku based, Rom mostly. I've built areas using their online creation, things like that. So, while the concept of total online creatability for someone like me who is not a C programmer was and is exactly what I've needed, the learning curve is still a bit steep.

So, after a week or two of research, finding tons of mudlibs out there from 1998, 1999, even back as far as 1994, I was growing extremely frustrated and wondering if anything at all was still at least supported, even if not in current development. I downloaded one to find it compiling easily, but sorely lacking in documentation. Another seemed more recent, but I couldn't get the silly thing to compile with the MudOS I had to download separately. I actually stumbled on dead souls by accident, don't even remember where, I think a link that linked somewhere else that went somewhere else kind of thing. Finally thought I'd give it a try, followed the instructions and what do you know, the darned thing compiled and was up in running in no time, mostly because the step by step was actually understandable. I log on and to my amazement, the intermud is, as promised, up, running, and even better, active! Whoa, people! I completely agree with you, trying to learn a mud's setup in the beginning stages can be awfully lonely, so having those channels and others out there in the same boat makes an enormous difference. The more I talk to and listen to people, the more documentation I read, the more I see here on the forums and the recent alpha additions which I'm actually considering switching to, the more amazed I am. I only hope that with time and practice and, probably, lots of questions, I can become a part of this community and give back to you and the others who have already made this project even more exciting to me than it already was.

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 12:25:15 pm »

I agree completely.  When I first downloaded and set up Dead Souls after collecting every mudlib and driver I could get my hands on, I found that Dead Souls was by far the easiest out of the box.  I think other people may agree, without the Intermud set up and active, I would have turned in my wizard's hat and never come back to it.

The active Dead Souls community was definitely something that I feel was needed for someone like me who has never played a mud before.  This was the first mud I actually got to work, since I have NO compiling understanding or experience.  I did simple Basic programming in High School so I can at least try and follow the flow of the code.  With the friendly people who were only too happy to help, I was able to learn a lot and has allowed me to help other new people coming into the fold.

With all of my heart: "Happy Birthday, Dead Souls.  May it be a long and eventful one!".

Daelas/Amun-Ra

Moraelinost

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: Happy Birthday Dead Souls!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 10:26:30 am »
Whee! Three years!

http://dead-souls.net/the_beginning.txt

It's been an absolute blast...and knowing
people use and appreciate it makes it
a turbo blast.

I'm still having tons of fun, everything is
going extremely well, and I have no plans
to stop, so join me in wishing the new
DS many more happy rebirthdays!

-Crat
http://dead-souls.net

Offline parham

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:36:54 am »
I also consider it a duty of mine to tell you all how much I appreciate the effort put into Dead Souls. A process started by Crat, as I hear, and helped along here and there by others too! So best of luck to everyone that has given me the motivation to learn LPC! Although Dead Souls was being a bit weird for me, I've put it aside to return to, once I have more understanding of things. Intermud is of course the best thing. I've always worked with mailing lists and stuff when it came to other codebases (like MOO or MU), but to actually have channels and such... wow!
Good work, every single one of you! At least, you are those that did take the challenge of learning LPC, even if you feel like being a beginner (like I am hehe).
And great work, Crat! And also great to hear that there is motivation there and you're not going to put this down.
Good luck!

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:57:02 pm »
Congratulations, Cratylus.

I appreciate the hard work you have done to make this a successful community. Opening intermud was one of the best things you could have done to expand the LP community. I have been using DS for the last 2 years. I have had some time conflicts, but now I am back on track with my Arcania project. I look forward to making several more contributions to the base lib.

Long live LP!

Detah@Arcania

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:27 pm »
Hear, hear.  Crat, you're the bomb, despite what everybody says about you.

(Actually, since it appears to be pretty much mini-fascists who have bad things to say about you, your excellent taste in people whose enmity you attract reflects very well upon you.)

Offline Ashon

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • http://talosmud.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:03:41 am »
I started working on DS awhile back in 2006 while I was unemployed, and have worked on and off on my game, until I was able to revive my favorite mud.  But cratylus, lpmuds.net and intermud have been valuable resources for anyone doing lp development.

I'm currently working on a lib that is ancient.  And I boggle at the fact that DS is much better organized, written, and planned.  Good job Craty!

Offline Raudhrskal

• BFF
  • The MUD community needs YOUR help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:56 am »
Well, i'll try to express the message i have in mind with my limited English.
This post is somewhat random, but it's sometthing in lines of core dump of what i think about Dead Souls.

I was fiddling with DS for a long time, since 2.0r18. It all started because i was interested in muds in general. I quickly learned a little about diku and started to lose interest, while, accidentally, i found... lpc-mode in my debian package selection list. It's description informed me that there was some scripting language for writing muds. The LDmud hint haven't gave me much, but after googling and wikireading i foud that DS is a lib that was currently maintained. I've tried it... and i'm addicted.

Dead Souls may not be the most nicely written piece of software you ever seen. But it's doing it's job, and it's doing it's job (mostly) right. It is a "practical" lib. Not "very great by design but so awkward to use without a CS grade", nor a "We type random stuff and look what it will do". It has the features that were really needed by people. And it gives me the fun that no other coding project could. I love working on it.

I'd like to thank you, Crat, for everything you did to revive the lib and make it evolve. I believe that your work is the best thing that happened to the LP community since we entered the 21st century. I hope that we'll see few brand new DS-based muds open for players pretty soon. And that will help to maintain the tradition.

As on the lpmuds.net portal... it allowed the community to be more visible to the outside world. Honestly, most of the other mud related sites are focused on dikus, and even if a site have an LP related area, it's depressingly empty. You decided to change it... and looks like it's working.

Keep mudding,
'Skal

PS. LPC is a great way to program. If only the MudOS syntax wasn't so quirky, i think it'd be best choice for the introductory courses in the medium/high school levels. You don't write abstract cr***y progs like menu with four basic math operations. You create a world.

PS2. Maybe I sound like a brown-noser. But that's my point of view, like it or not.
I think, therefore i may be wrong.
Please note that if you met a Raudhrskal in a place that's not related to muds, it wasn't me. *sigh*... back when I started there was zero hits on google for that name...

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
Whee another kickbutt year!

Everything is going extremely well, and I'm still having fun with DS...
hope you guys are too :)

The releases have been a bit slower in coming this year, you may have
noticed, since there have been some big RL changes around the Crat
household and the coding is no longer an hours-long uninterrupted frenzy.

Still, things are roughly on-track and on-schedule, and I look
forward to releasing DS 3 later this year.

Thanks to everyone that's helped out, given feedback, or just support.

-Crat

PS released 2.11a18 in celebration.

Offline Aphid

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »
After lurking on this forum for a couple of years, waiting for the day when my academic responsibilities were done and I could really get back into my hobby of programming and MUD coding, I have to actually make an account and post about this. This is wonderful! You guys have done so much awesome work here and I'm really excited about what the following years will be bringing, especially with the whispered release of Dead Souls 3.

Amazing work, everyone on the team and I hope that you continue to do great things and enjoy what you're doing!

Congratulations!

Offline Vector

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:04:46 am »
I have been lurking on the forum too but would like to express my appreciation for the DS lib.  You put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into keeping things running as they should.  Thanks for all that you have done and really excited about future updates.

Congratulations on another successful year!

Offline saquivor

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 04:47:51 am »
Happy Birthday from me a well.

I still hope to make time to get more involved with lpc again, as I really enjoyed creating some funny npcs and objects.

Looking forward to DS 3 :) Any notes on this release ?