Author Topic: Compiling/running DGD 1.2p4 on Fedora 7 - Returns seg fault?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Nobu

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Compiling/running DGD 1.2p4 on Fedora 7 - Returns seg fault?
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
Howdy, Guys.

Let me get this out of the way: I am a n00b.  Or, at least, an admin n00b.  But I'm tryin' real hard, here.  I've spent the past couple days trying to figure why DGD will not run after compilation on my host's Fedora 7 system.  I've not installed any packages (ANSI, network, et cetera) as I wanted to make certain I could get it running vanilla-style before mucking with the mojo.  Apparently, I cannot. 

I verified my process via Unifex (http://www.mudlab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1273) and Par Winzell (http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Config/Customizing.html).  I'm using the SYSV makefile (though I've tried both it and the default - same problem) and I've corrected the 'directory' path in mud.dgd to the absolute path of my 'dgd' directory.  However, when I enter (from the dgd directory, of course) 'bin/driver mud.dgd', the only thing that the system returns is 'Segmentation fault.'  And the system prompt.

I'm sure it's something ridiculous that I'm simply missing, but everything appears to be as it should, and nothing in all the wisdom of the internet seems to have any effect.  I am confused.  Any advice?  THANK YOU!

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: Compiling/running DGD 1.2p4 on Fedora 7 - Returns seg fault?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
What happens when you try compiling the DGD version
bundled with Phantasmal?

http://lpmuds.net/files/phantasmal_dgd_v1.tar.gz

-Crat

Offline Nobu

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:00:35 PM »
Aahaheheheh, ahhh.  I love how in the readme you specifically state, "The Phantasmal/DGD bundle is absolutely not for newbie admins."  But, by God, I've never done anything the easy way, and defying 'never' just seems shameful at this point.

Hmm.  Same error.  Perhaps it's time to pester the admin.  I'm thinking the compiler just isn't agreeing with me, here.  =\  Let me know if you think otherwise - I'm at a loss at this point.  Thanks, man!  =)

Offline Jimorie

• Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Hi Nobu! I am not so frequent on this forum, and I see that it has been a few days since you posted this. Still, I'll try and give you some feedback other than what cratylus already provided.

It should not be necessary for you to use the SYSV Makefile if your Linux version is fairly recent - which Fedora 7 should be. Just cd to src and make should do it.

You write that you set the directory parameter in the config to point to your dgd directory. I am not sure you did that right. The directory should give the base directory of the mudlib. For the kernel library that ships together with DGD this would be /path/to/dgd/mud for example.

Either way, no matter why DGD fails to run it probably shouldn't crash with a segmentation fault. I get no clue to why this happens from the details you've given.

My first advice to you is to try the DGD mailing list - https://www.dworkin.nl/mailman/listinfo/dgd. It is not a busy list but it is alive and it is very much your best bet of getting contact with the DGD expertise and its developer.

My other advice would be to use the experimental branch of DGD. The 1.2 stable version is several years old now, and DGD has matured in many ways since then. The major reason not to do this is if you want to use patches available for 1.2 that has not been updated to work with the experimental branch - such as the network package.

I have mostly smoothless experiences with building and setting up DGD myself so I can't think it should be impossible for you to get it to run. Hang in there!

:)