Author Topic: Wikipedia article on LPmud  (Read 2688 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Wikipedia article on LPmud
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »
It would seem that someone added a "notability" tag to the
LPMud page at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPMud

This is a precursor to an article being nominated for deletion.

I mention this because folks who care about LP muds might want
to take the opportunity to create Wiki accounts and improve
the article so that it meets Wikipedia notability guidelines
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:N ).

A similar thing happened to the DikuMUD article, but Diku has
such a vast user/fan base that it's almost certain to avoid deletion.

With LPMud, I fear that if it gets to a deletion nomination, there
may be no turning back.

-Crat

Offline silenus

• BFF
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia article on LPmud
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:22:04 AM »
I am not sure who wrote the article but I would probably like to say the following. I think that the article isn't too well organized compared to some if the existing articles on wiki. I think the use of some of the terminology is a bit incorrect. For example I doubt most people would consider most mud drivers to be just virtual machines since it incorporates OS like features.

Unfortunately my writing skills aren't quite up to snuff and I am not so sure about the long history of LP since I came rather late to the scene in the early 1990's or I would volunteer to rewrite the article. I think some things people might consider is creating a general MUD article and have a shorter description of different mud types which could be expanded later. I think for example the article is hurt a bit because it fails to contrast the differences between LP, Diku's and things like MUSH and MOO. I think this sort of information would be critical for someone lay person to get a sense of what the whole mud scene is/was all about.

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:31:24 AM »
Improving the quality of the article is well and good, but it's not primarily the quality of the article in terms of writing style, organization, usefulness of content, or any of that that's at issue; it's wikipedia "notability".  As far as I can tell, this means that, in order to prevent deletion, the article needs to be rewritten to be extensively sourced from "real publications", mostly meaning paper books with ISBNs, though "researchy" web-published items may also be helpful.

When I have the spare money to throw around, I will probably buy copies of MUD Game Programming, Designing Virtual Worlds, and Secrets of the MUD Wizards (which I'm particularly fond of because it contains screenshots from and bizarrely inaccurate statements about my MUD) and see what I can do about the article.

If anyone has some sources that could be referenced for anything in that article, especially the quotes from Lars, that'd be awfully handy.

Offline silenus

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
Aye you are correct. I guess digging out relevant references to reference materials has become so second nature to me that I even forgot to mention it  :o. I thought perhaps the historical section could become part of a larger article where perhaps you could get away with it by referencing everything else. There are actually some references in a related article on wiki on muds in general. This perhaps might be a good starting point for changing the article so that it has more appropriate content. This gives a broader historical outline and contextualizes mudding within the context of the rise of the MMORPGs. I was actually surprised that there are a number of research articles on muds in general in the literature including this one- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jpd/publications/mud-intro.html.

Offline Stoli

• Pottymouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
Wikipedia has long been overrun by deletionists who nominate every article that they can for deletion in order to score brownie points with other deletionists (barnstar whores, the lot of them). If they were serious about deleting lpmud's entry, they would have just nominated it. Firstly, its not likely that an obviously notable topic like lpmuds will ever go up to a vfd ("notable" by wikipedia standards - this is the "encyclopedia" that has 5-page articles about anime characters). Secondly, if it does get nominated, all of the lemmings from mudconnect, etc will come out and vote to keep the article. Lastly, if it ever does get deleted, someone can just recreate it a few weeks later. Go virtual Maoism!!

Wikipedia is stupid.

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:00:37 PM »
I don't think the notability tag on the LPMud article is from a frothing deletionist; I think it's from a muckitymuck in the Wikipedia Video Games project, which the LPMud article is marked as part of for some reason, who saw this article in the project and said either:

1) (uncharitable hypothesis) "I've never heard of this, and it looks like it's about words, and everyone knows that games are about buttons and graphics", or
2) (charitable hypothesis) "This article says a lot of stuff, quoting even, but doesn't cite a single source.  Yeesh.  Someone needs to get this thing up to spec."

In any event, since I don't have a stack of published sources to cite sitting next to me, I've done the next stupidest thing: made a set of LP-related userboxes at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chaos5023/Userboxes.  Pop them on your user page and they'll drop you into categories like "Wikipedians who code on LPMuds" and whatnot, as appropriate.  And you can use them to brag about your mad LPC skillz.  Enjoy.