Author Topic: Accursed Lands - roleplay mud  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Jayess

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Accursed Lands - roleplay mud
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
name:  Accursed Lands MUD
telnet: accursed-lands.com port 8000
type:   modified Lima

AL has been online since 1996, when a half-dozen creators left DartMUD (another LP mud that's still online and going strong) to found a hardcore roleplaying MUD.

AL is still in active development, with new coded features added regularly.  We have a fairly sizeable staff with some knowledgeable old-timers and a lot of enthusiastic newer creators.  We're always interested in associating ourselves with experienced LPC coders, but we haven't had much luck hiring people "off the street" - we find that hiring people from within the playerbase leads to a more productive long-term arrangement, since they're already in agreement with our goals and conventions.

We have a decent playerbase, averaging around 80 accounts per day (down from 150 at our peak).  We hope to grow to around 200 active accounts/day soon, since we have a spiffy new dedicated server with all the bells and whistles.  For AL, server lag is a thing of the past.

AL was voted "RPI mud of the year for 2006" at rpimud.com, and consistently places in the top-20 at topmudsites.com.  Our players enjoy our attention to detail and often use our "praise board" to remark on our high-quality writing and realistically-coded features.

Accursed Lands is a roleplay MUD.  Players are expected to stay in character at all times and observe a strict separation between OOC and IC.  We're not a beginner's MUD, but we try welcome everyone with a desire to roleplay.  Our newbie helpers (mentors) are dedicated and caring.

Our theme is all-original low fantasy, with tinges of gothic horror set in a medieval environment.

Some features of which we're proud:
  • Rooms have coordinate systems - realistic ranged combat, no speedwalking
  • Realistic flying and underwater travel - surface rooms have air rooms above them
  • Unique underworld system - players can tunnel around and make underground rooms that persist across reboots
  • Extensive emote system - the best I've seen
  • Neato wilderness map - "see" the wilds around you on an ascii map
  • High-quality descriptions - all items fully described, extra descriptions on most items
  • Realism is our goal - to do something, ask yourself how you'd do it in real life

We work slowly, but we do it right.  We've been online for more than 10 years and accomplished a lot, but we still have a lot to do.  Come check us out and see what a mature LP mud is capable of.  We require you to register an email address to receive your account password.

Offline Nilrin

• Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Accursed Lands - roleplay mud
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
While I realise this post is years old, I was hoping someone knew the current status of this MUD. I've been searching the netz around for a while looking for an answer, but nothing yet.

As far as I can tell, both the MUD address accursed-lands.com 8000 and the same web address can not be reached. It's my dearest hope that this is merely a hickup and not a MUD biting the dust.

While I realise MUDs come and go, this baby has been around for a decade and a half, at least.

On the off chance does anyone have an answer?

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/mud_stats.cgi?mud=Accursed+Lands

Last connect status: Connect Timed Out
Number of consecutive days with this status: 62

It's not looking good for AL, I'm afraid.

Offline Raudhrskal

• BFF
  • The MUD community needs YOUR help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
There's that "email user" button under her(?) post count, maybe it works...
I think, therefore i may be wrong.
Please note that if you met a Raudhrskal in a place that's not related to muds, it wasn't me. *sigh*... back when I started there was zero hits on google for that name...

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
Also, there's http://jayess.awardspace.com/, which is supposed to have info when both AL and its web site are down; it has no info to speak of and its PHPBB instance is dead of database authorization failure.

Looking pretty abandoned.

Offline resopmok

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
Hi folks I'm formerly a player on this MUD and while I can't confirm it's dead it would certainly appear so.  The playerbase was already small in the past couple years, and a falling out between some creators and players certainly turned that picture even more bleak.  I would not be surprised if the admin shut it down due to inactivity.  The website also being taken down is a great loss for me, especially in light of the player logs that were posted there.  Those stories, all improvised, are examples of some of the best roleplay on (and I will make the bold statement) any MUD I have ever seen, and they will be sorely missed.  I have a handful of my own I would be willing to share with anyone interested such that at least some vestige of this unique place lives in the annals of MUD history.

If any other former AL players out there see this and are interested in discussing the old dog, shoot an email off to resopmok@yahoo.com or reply to this thread.  I was Laniar, btw, and played the characters Darian, Veron and Kalya in the time before the MUD was shut.  Thanks for reading and gl hf to all.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:32:56 PM by resopmok »

Offline skout23

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »
If you want to try and pull / copy data from archive.org

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.accursed-lands.com
"http://www.accursed-lands.com has been crawled 137 times going all the way back to June 24, 2001."

A quick scan of the archives shows that they were able to grab the forums in 2007, but I think not after.

Offline Nilrin

• Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Eventually I was able to contact an ex-staff member that, for the most part, was able to confirm Accursed Lands shutting down. On the up side, I did discover a sister MUD (albiet step-sister) lament.ghostglass.net:8600 still in operation.

resopmok - I'm interested in logs you might have laying around. I agree that Accursed lands had some serious RP to talk about.