Author Topic: MudOS driver question on performance of RAM drives  (Read 2982 times)

Offline mactorg

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • DarkeMUD
MudOS driver question on performance of RAM drives
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »
I was looking around the internet looking for some hardware for my systems and I cam across this little unit: http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1 I thought this might be a cool thing for any MudOS.  Now I am not sure but I think when the driver writes or reads from the drive that is the only thing it can do at that point correct?  And if that is correct to have a RAM drive on the system would remove the lag caused by reading from the HD and speed up overall access.

Has anyone used this kind of device on a mud system?

Thanks

MacTORG

MacTORG
to live is to learn, to die is to graduate.

http://www.darkemud.com

Offline wodan

• BFF
  • Drink and code, you know you want to!
    • View Profile
Re: MudOS driver question on performance of RAM drives
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:33 AM »
Looking at that link: It doesn't seem to be that much faster

On Discworld we have the most used files on a ramdisk in main memory, which is a lot faster and only costs you the ram :)
Of course all is lost when the system reboots so we copy everything over to a real disk in the background.

Offline sojan

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:13:34 AM »
Seek time on commonly accessed files is always the killer - most muds consists of lots and lots of small files so bandwidth and throughput on the controller isn't really an issue but the seek times then come into play with the heads jumping all over the place.  In that respect solid state does help a lot but as Wodan says it's much easier just to do it with a ram disk and then have a system process in the background that writes stuff back to magnetic at a frequentish interval.  On Discworld we only need to use a 0.5GB ramdisk to cache all the commonly used files at any given point in time and it never really uses more than a 100M or so of that.  It means things can be a little slow after a system restart as the cache is populated but after that things are fairly zippy from a file IO pov.

J

Offline mactorg

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • DarkeMUD
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:33:34 AM »
Yes I read the review and the access times were 7 times faster than the fastest HD system, and I don't really mind how much it can transfer in a second, just the raw access speeds to the drive.  But the cost is a bit much could run from 250 to 500 for a card depending on memory used. 

The battery option is very nice so even if you have a power failure it wouldn't be an issue.  Our system is on Generator backup as well as UPS units for the transfer from main power to generator, so a RAM drive would be good.  just the copying of data from the RAM drive to the HD would be the only issue and betweet system restarts it would copy over.  and figuring out what directories need to move to the ram drive and what doesn't need to move would be my issue, might create 'ln -s' links for those areas that do alot of reads and writes.

Thanks for the information

MacTORG
MacTORG
to live is to learn, to die is to graduate.

http://www.darkemud.com