Author Topic: Setting up Dead Souls - suggested Linux distro?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Draconian

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Setting up Dead Souls - suggested Linux distro?
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:44:06 pm »
Ok I've thumbed through Discworld, DS, and Lima - and I think DS is for sure the way to go.

I'm setting up a 2nd computer on my home network today for the sole purpose of running the DS mudlib, so i can work on it from a Unix environment instead of running it in Win32.

I've got a copy of Red Hat 9 from 2003, along with manual - but I'm wondering if there is a better/suggested distro for efficiency/ease of use to run the MudOS/DS combo.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

The machine that will be running it:

1.6 P4 400mhz FSB (can be safley OC'd to 2.0 - I ran it for years in this spec)
768mb pc2100 Kingston DDR
Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 ( >< all i got to spare)

Again any tips/suggestions you can provide for the best fit for this machine/mudlib would be amazingly helpful. Sorry for my newbness, but I'm nothing but eager to get started and want to start off on the right foot.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: Setting up Dead Souls - suggested Linux distro?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 03:16:51 pm »
RH9 should be entirely adequate.

I would just suggest that this computer should not be directly on the internet
until you are more comfortable with running an internet server. My assumption
is that exploits exist for the standard programs on a Linux distro from 4 years ago,
so I'd make sure I was the only person with access to it.

Similarly, I'd suggest you avoid running any mud as root. Root is the equivalent
of "administrator" for unix systems, and if some clever person figured out how
to exploit the mud, you don't want them to have admin privs to the computer
it's running on.

Other than that, it's hard to think of any reason the flavor or Linux, or indeed the
flavor of unix, would matter. It's purely a matter of preference. Personally
I run my test/developments muds on Solaris, which isn't Linux at all.

MudOS/DS is sufficiently unix agnostic that the only case that I can think of
where is matters is the really exotic stuff, like versions of Linux designed to run
off of a CD instead of a hard drive, this sort of thing. In the case of weird stuff
like that, all bets are off.

But as a practical matter, whether you drive a Ford, Chevy, or Mitsubishi to the
supermarket, you still get there with roughly equal convenience.

-Crat

Offline Aransus

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:28:20 pm »
I'd suggest you play around with a few different Linux distributions, the same way you did with mudlibs. Since DS isn't terribly picky about which flavor it runs on, you have a fair bit of freedom to find what -you- want to run. Most distributions have live CD's available, which you can use to boot the OS and play around a bit without going through a number of OS installs. Some you may be interested in are:

Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/download
Fedora - http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/ (no live CD that I could see)
Mandriva - http://www.mandriva.com/en/download

While Fedora doesn't seem to have a live CD available for download (I could just be blind), it may be worth a shot if you're used to Red Hat.

Good luck with the new mud!

Offline Draconian

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:00:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys. Good to know I'm flexible to go with what I want. I knew any distro would pretty much run it - but my aim is to find one that has no fluff. This isn't by any means a main machine. I won't be surfing, playing audio, etc. Nothing but running and storing the MUD - and of course toying with linux itself.

I decided on Vector Linux, after paging through lots of Linux communities and boards. Red Hat error'd on install, and I decided to look around for a new one anyway since it was out-dated.

Vector is based on slackware, has a great reputation of running well on older hardware (MUCH older than my setup), and is widely regarded as a slim, and very fast distro. I'm installing now and looking forward to working with it. =)

I briefly considered Ubuntu, but I really want to learn Linux in-depth, and Ubuntu is geared primarily for user-friendliness, with Windows converts in mind. I'm no guru, but I'm not by any means a newbie with software - so this distro didn't seem like a very attractive idea, despite it's ease of install, use, and migration from a windows environment.

Thanks again!

edit: Oh and I wanted to add that, this comp will only be self-contained on my home network, with no net connection - to start. So security concerns aren't really a huge deal for me, at the moment. This is more of an experience-gaining study for both Linux and the mudlib. =)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:04:52 pm by Draconian »

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:15 am »
a) Im not sure how one would go about making the mud offline only. I suspect it can be done, but I have no idea how. If you know how, please post the instructions in a separate post.
b) I would recommend that if you are going to run DS, test code and play around with it that you utilize the ds channel to stay in touch with other users. I find that the ability to contact the DS community with questions and comments is perhaps the most valuable asset of DS over other libs. Ive played on other muds with other routers and this is one of the best in the last 2 yrs.