Author Topic: DS2 Lima  (Read 7611 times)

Offline boobay

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
DS2 Lima
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:14:12 pm »
Crat,

I found a server you're admin of running Lima which has i3 actively running. What modifications were made to fix the problems(where there any problems)?

Thanks,
-Bobby

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: DS2 Lima
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:49:03 pm »
Depends on the problems you mean. If you're having compile problems, I'm not too
sure I can help without seeing your errors. If you mean intermud problems, I hunted down the spot
where the *gjs router data was specified and replaced it with *yatmim router data:

daemons/imud_d.c

Note that router info is specified more than once in that file, so make sure to replace
any instances of the router's name, ip, and port with the yatmim stuff, which
you can find at: http://lpmuds.net/intermud.html

As to general lib problems like the birthday bug, I have not yet prepared
an updated Lima lib distribution. I have not received permission from all the
copyright holders to do so. It is possible I never will. One of them is a bigshot millionaire
now and it's not clear he's even getting my email. :(

This isn't to cast him in a bad light, btw. My point isn't that he's an uncaring fat cat,
just that he may be beyond the reach of this little hobbyist.

-Crat

Offline boobay

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:00:12 pm »
Ah, yes. I worked with Loriel for 2 - 3 years helping with the new updates to the system. I may be able to contact him(if i'm lucky) and find out everyone's email addresses, physical addresses or phone numbers; it really depends on whether or not I can find Loriel's phone number. Also, if you happen to get permission before I can contact Loriel - Do you mind if I assist you with the Lima MUDLib?

-Bobby

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:29:04 pm »
I'm sure Loriel contributed greatly to Lima, perhaps on Lima Bean itself. But the
authors listed on the license notice in the Lima lib are Rust, Deathblade, and Beek. Rust
I've already talked with in another situation, so I have good contact info for him.

I haven't formally asked him yet for permission, partly because it's kind of moot
if I can't get a hold of the other guys.

Deathblade is now the chairman of the Apache Software Foundation, and has his
hand in various other projects. His contact information is available enough...it's just
not that clear if my messages reach him.

Beek's contact info is a mystery to me still, though I continue to look on occasion. As with
Rust, I'm not looking that hard, because without Deathblade's sign-off, there's no
repackaging to do.

My intent is not at all to try picking up development. As with the Merentha, Discworld,
TMI, and Skylib mudlibs, my interest is simply to repackage these fine libs with
fixed up driver source (so users of new UNIXes don't stumble at the start gate),
maybe a minor lib fix here or there, and connectivity to the new yatmim router.

My only vision is making it easier for people to use these libs, not taking over them.

If you *do* think you might have fun picking up a lib maintainership, you certainly have my
encouragement and best wishes, but I just don't have the authority to grant such
a thing. You'll need to speak to the old maintainers and get their blessing.

-Crat

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, the maintainers of the libs I repackaged all
gave their blessing, with the exception of Skylib. Since Skylib is GPL, I didn't think
it was necessary to ask, but in retrospect, I wish I had asked anyway, just out of general principle.

As to MudOS distribution, I asked Marius if it was ok to package MudOS with libs this
way, and he was perfectly cool with it too.

When it comes to stuff like this, it's my impression that old maintainers and copyright holders
generally are cool with it...so long as you ask politely, give them credit, don't try to
usurp authority you don't have, and generally avoid evil and greed.  There are sad chapters in
LP history involving people deciding to take over maintainerships without asking, or
through rude means, and boy, are they some sad, sorry episodes.

I'm not saying you're doing this, please please don't misunderstand. Just sharing some thoughts about
LP traditions and maintainership. Thus far my experiences have been positive and collegial,
and I think it's because I've tried to cross the t's and dot the i's rather than assume any kind
of messianic manifest destiny :)

Offline boobay

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:46:02 pm »
Well, I found some decent contact information for Deathblade and I have Beek's phone number. I need to hunt a little harder to find Rust's information though.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 02:48:51 pm »
Rust's info I have, we're good there.

But if you can give me contact info for Beek and Deathblade, we might be in business!

Send me a PM, please, if you get a chance.

Thank you.

-Crat

Offline Archaegeo

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:09 pm »
Did anything ever come of this?

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:26:43 pm »
Did anything ever come of this?

I got permission from Beek, but have not heard from Deathblade or Rust.

Rust gave me permission a while back to modify TMI-2, so I
think that with a little more persistence I can reach him and get an
official OK on Lima, but the whole thing is moot if I can't reach Deathblade,
and as of now it seems like he's either out of reach or unwilling
to give permission. I've left email and voicemail for him, to no
avail, and his lack of response is going to have to serve as
a "no".

Note that I do not want people to try to hassle him. That would be counterproductive.
But if you happen to know him and happen to know that he didn't get my
messages, it won't hurt to let him know I'm trying to get a hold of him.

-Crat

Offline mactorg

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • DarkeMUD
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:01:07 pm »
Make sure you remove the /data/daemons/imud.o file after you change the router information so it can rebuild it.  or it will continue to use the old router data.

need to reboot after that as well

mactorg

Depends on the problems you mean. If you're having compile problems, I'm not too
sure I can help without seeing your errors. If you mean intermud problems, I hunted down the spot
where the *gjs router data was specified and replaced it with *yatmim router data:

daemons/imud_d.c

Note that router info is specified more than once in that file, so make sure to replace
any instances of the router's name, ip, and port with the yatmim stuff, which
you can find at: http://lpmuds.net/intermud.html

As to general lib problems like the birthday bug, I have not yet prepared
an updated Lima lib distribution. I have not received permission from all the
copyright holders to do so. It is possible I never will. One of them is a bigshot millionaire
now and it's not clear he's even getting my email. :(

This isn't to cast him in a bad light, btw. My point isn't that he's an uncaring fat cat,
just that he may be beyond the reach of this little hobbyist.

-Crat
MacTORG
to live is to learn, to die is to graduate.

http://www.darkemud.com

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:27:22 am »
Something is odd about the timestamps in this thread.
I see
5-1-07 (which I believe actually did happen on May 1, 2007). Then later it shows 8-1-08 (which was actually posted on January 8, 2008). It seems the order of month and day were switched at the bboard level at some point. But shouldnt this be consistent across all posts, if this setting were changed? Is it just my browser showing the wrong format?

Offline Alecksy

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • BucketMUD
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »
Something is odd about the timestamps in this thread.
I see
5-1-07 (which I believe actually did happen on May 1, 2007). Then later it shows 8-1-08 (which was actually posted on January 8, 2008). It seems the order of month and day were switched at the bboard level at some point. But shouldnt this be consistent across all posts, if this setting were changed? Is it just my browser showing the wrong format?

I'm seeing all dates throughout the forum as either "Today" or, e.g., "January 01, 2008". It's showing the first half of the thread occuring on January 05, 2007, so it looks like the date formats are consistent.
Chil@BucketMUD
www.bucketmud.tk

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
My mistake, I guess.
I thought this forum did not exist in January of 2007. I was somehow thinking the first post was made in May 2007. That confused me.  I suppose it did exist in Jan 2007, so it makes sense now.

I changed my settings, so now it spells out the month name. It looks much nicer now.

I apologize for interrupting the thread. //