Author Topic: About Heaven 7  (Read 17911 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
About Heaven 7
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:54:39 pm »
Originally developed using Amylaar driver, Heaven 7 now runs on the LDmud driver. For more information, see:

http://www.heaven7mud.org

Offline Atomic

• BFF
  • To infinity and beyond!
    • View Profile
Re: About Heaven 7
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:34:31 pm »
I have experience with this mudlib, though it's not hardcore.
Set it up several times and if you have any trouble running it, give me a
yell.

At this moment I'm focusing on DS2.x anyways.
Always remember that the early bird gets the worm first, but the fi...*SNAP*...second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline plagueofme

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 01:43:48 am »
As a side note, the domain name heaven7mud.org expired on 1/4/07, and the site is not currently available. As development for Heaven7 is dead, the site may not be brought back up.

The latest development was with H7 Avatar, a D20-based, from-scratch implementation of the mudlib. Though it doesn't seem to be in active development at this time either, it's available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/heaven7/.

Offline Tricky

• BFF
  • I like what I code and I code what I like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:18:08 pm »
It wasn't in much development when I was using it 2 1/2 years ago.

I'll send a message to someone I know who was using H7 Avatar at the same time I was to see if he wants to contibute to this forum. He seemed to be very interested at the time in the lib. I don't know what he is doing atm.

Of course that person could very well be on this forum already under a different nick.

No harm asking via an email.

Tricky

Offline Randalar

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:58:21 pm »
:)  I had been playing around with the Heaven7 Avatar lib for a little bit myself.  I think I even have the code lying around somewhere.  It is definitely incomplete, and much like many others, RL grabbed me by the neck and kept me busy.  I had contributed a couple things to the lib, but nothing too fancy.  I don't think I still have the Heaven 7 lib though.  Actually, it looks like it is still up and running at least on an older dev version of the driver.  I've not updated it in a while.  Looks like it is running under 3.3.693.  If you are interested in taking a looksy (Should still give you the option to become a wiz), you can hit it at telnet://samhain.no-ip.org:7099  If there's any interest, I may update the driver and see if it blows anything up :D
--Randalar

Edit: If you want to contact me, randalar@gmail.com is best.  I check that in the evenings usually, and have a bad habit of not remembering to always check boards  ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 06:03:51 pm by Randalar »

Offline Leech

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:19 am »
I've been working off of the Avatar lib off and on for a couple of years. It was bare, sure, but I rather liked that to start from. DGD, while fascinating, was a bit too bare for me, though.

Sarak updated the SVN repository six weeks ago with some small fixes for newer LDmud versions. I guess it's only mostly dead.

Offline Randalar

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:42:16 pm »
Hmm, what sorta things did he upgrade?

Offline Leech

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:53:06 am »
Little stuff. Here's a link to the diff:

http://heaven7.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/heaven7?view=rev&revision=63

I guess it's up to seven weeks ago now.

Offline fantom

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 05:42:37 am »
any know any free heaven7 mudlibs mods to download? i want to have a good a trying to code stuff after years of playing heaven7 based muds.

KR
Victor

Offline dogthenine

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:21 pm »
Hello everyone

I'd love to find some help regarding Heaven7 or possibly even Skylib.
I am trying to set up a MUD myself, but have virtually no experience with mudOS's.
My first choice is Skylib, but Heaven7 also appeared to be similar to the mudlib that I am used to [in my limited experience viewing it anyways]

The problem is, I can't get the OS for either mudlib to compile.

I've tried several versions for skylib, including the one it was made for v22.2b14-DSv10.
And I have tried several versions of LDMud, which is what heaven7 runs on.

Any help would be most appreciated! I've been trying to find help for almost 2 weeks now with no luck. Just found this site today.

I have a theme and a plan for my MUD and the time to commit to it. Now I just need to get it UP :)

Thankyou in advance,
Dave
rattlesnake21@comcast.net

PS If anyone has any heaven7 files, feel free to send them my way. Only 1 of the links was working at heaven7 :( I wouldn't mind trying the version that was made to run on Windows. That's not what I would be running the MUD from, but I wouldn't mind trying it anyways :)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 07:19:08 pm »
For Skylib, try this: http://lpmuds.net/downloads.html

The version there has had the source updated to compile on modern os'es.

I never had any trouble getting ldmud for h7 to compile. Maybe if you detailed the
problems, someone could guide you through.

-Crat

Offline dogthenine

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:06:16 pm »
Thanks. I will grab that version and try to install it and post any errors I get. Hopefully, none :)

Offline sarak

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 09:07:42 am »
Hello all,

I just found that the old heaven7mud.org site could still be reached via the sourceforge pages and saw a few links to here so I thought I'd pop in and say hi  :-*  It's nice to see there's still some interest here and there regarding Heaven7 after all these years.  I thought I'd pop in to say that there definately hasn't been any activity on H7 development for quite a while.  I haven't heard for Phaedrus in a few years and the last thing I did to the new and incomplete lib was the fix the broken ls command and maybe make some changes to suit more recent versions of ldmud.

Unless there's a new generation to breathe new life into it, I doubt the lib will go much further.  I occasionally have brief periods of interest in but nothing sustained - I usually find myself working on a new mud style project in my limited spare time these days though.  Still, if there are questions about it, now that I know about this forum and that the sourceforge one's for h7 work I'll check them out now and then.  If not, drop me an email (sarak at castinian dot org)

Cheers,

Sarak.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 12:27:50 pm »
Hmmm that reminds me to get back to my project of making h7
available and downloadable. I got permission from at least one
developer...can you remind me who I should secure permission
from in order to package up h7 and put in on the downloads page?

There are a couple of branches and it's a bit confusing. I think
that's why I left it alone for a while.

I've already got Lars D's blessing for packaging the driver.

-Crat

Offline sarak

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:55:33 pm »
Hmmm that reminds me to get back to my project of making h7
available and downloadable. I got permission from at least one
developer...can you remind me who I should secure permission
from in order to package up h7 and put in on the downloads page?

There are a couple of branches and it's a bit confusing. I think
that's why I left it alone for a while.

The branch situation isn't too complex.  There's the old style H7 lib up to and including the version 4 series - I'm not sure that's even part of CVS or SVN on sourceforge.  Then there's the newly designed, created from scratch lib that was codenamed avatar but never completed.  This was something Phaedrus and myself worked on for a while but we both got dragged off into RL and never really got back into it.  I believe Randalar contributed some to that lib as well, though I think by then I was already off in RL land so I couldn't tell you what :)

I'm pretty sure the old H7 libs up to and including the version 4 series were all classed as 'public domain' so you can do what you want with it.  So you have permission from that perspective and I'm more than happy for you to do that.  Considering there's no real list of all the people who contributed to it, it's unlikely you'll get 'everyone'.  However, based on my experience with the people involved, if you're doing something that helps make using H7 easier for people, they'll be all for it :)

We were looking at using GPL or something similar with the avatar lib we started (the one availablie via subversion on sourceforge) but that was never finalised either.  Since the project stalled and was never completed, I'm happy for people to do what they want with that as well.  I don't imagine Phaedrus would have a problem if you packaged it either.

Hope that helps clear it up a little.

Sarak.