Author Topic: A sad day in history - FluffOS-3  (Read 490 times)

Offline Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TheMud.ORG
A sad day in history - FluffOS-3
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
A sad day or an insulting day for some as  FluffOS-3 release. #372, No longer includes the additions that support The Discworld Mudlib
https://github.com/fluffos/fluffos/pull/372.

No comment has yet to be made by FallenTree in relation to this, but I will keep you posted.

But all one can do now, is really hope that support for this wonderful mudlib will be returned in future. but for now, we can only look to the heavens above and wonder.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:09:38 PM by Adam »

Offline Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TheMud.ORG
Re: A sad day in history - FluffOS-3
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
FallenTree:
@keeperofkeysAU please don't be so easily offended. No one is intended to insult anyone here.

DWLIB support is broken for almost 2 years now, and no one seems to care enough to fix it, that's the reason it is gone. The 3.0 driver codebase needs to be maintained, because it is actually still being used. (more than a lot of people would think here, apparently).

The open source rule is that if you care enough about it , just send a PR, if it passes the tests I am happy to include it.

OK so there you have it the official comment, personally, I think supporting the Discworld mudlib comes with the territory of the Fluffos driver.

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:14:07 AM »
The fact is that it hasn't been working for discworld + FluffOS 3 for a very long time. And I still says that if you want to make it work, I can help. Just work with me on the github instead of yelling it here.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:33:52 AM »
As I recall, the original reason FluffOS 3.x was forked from FluffOS 2.x was an unwillingness to allow the maintainer of Discworld to verify that the series of changes being worked into the driver wouldn't destroy a game with an active population in the thousands.

So, it's not so much that Discworld has no desire to migrate to a newer driver, it's that they had no desire to move to a rapidly moving target which showed no interest in maintaining compatibility with any game other than the one they, themselves, were running.

Now, there's no requirement to keep everything 100% backwards compatible.  FluffOS itself, when it was MudOS, broke things on a somewhat regular basis.  The difference is that during MudOS's evolution, compatibility issues were detected and described in the patch notes as each new revision was released, giving MUD admins the information they needed to fix their mudlibs, or decide to remain at the older version.

I'd like to think everyone has the same overall goals here... to try and improve the game driver for as many people as possible.  Since what's done is done, the only useful way forward now is to try and identify what things have been broken and determine if fixes will be simpler in the driver, or in the mudlib(s).

If I'm wrong, then perhaps a new name for the driver would be appropriate.  Afterall, MudOS became FluffOS because the maintainer of MudOS showed no interest in making the changes the Discworld people needed for their game to grow.

Offline Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TheMud.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:16:34 AM »
The fact is that it hasn't been working for discworld + FluffOS 3 for a very long time. And I still says that if you want to make it work, I can help. Just work with me on the github instead of yelling it here.

I wasn't yelling, but merely informing the populous that isn't subscribed to the githib fluffos-v3 repo news feed, I'll happily assist in ensuring Discworld and perhaps even crats DeadSouls lib will run on your new driver. as long as the flexibility for fixes that are easier on a driver level than a mud level to allow them to run is there, if it's not.... perhaps a name change as quix suggested is needed

Offline Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TheMud.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 06:59:10 AM »
Awesome  ;)