Author Topic: which driver would you use?  (Read 275 times)

Offline stanach

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
which driver would you use?
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Hello all,

If you had a choice of using a driver today, which driver would you use? LDMUD, DGD or FluffOS?

Might be asking too much, but why do you like that specific driver?

I am trying to decide on which driver to move forward with. Have the lib booting with dgd, ldmud, can make it boot with fluffos, just not sure which to move forward with?

thanks,

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
Re: which driver would you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »
I would probably pick DGD, although LDMUD is a nice and well polished driver too.

It boils down to what kinds of features you want moving forward.  DGD puts a lot of effort into supporting persistence, with state dumps and atomic functions, so if that sounds like something you might want to use, it's a clear winner.  If not, it's still a nice fast and small driver.  Dworkin's philosophy has been to try to keep features that can be done in LPC out of the driver, so it can remain efficient and manageable.

LDMUD is far closer to LPMUD 3.1.2, and has a history leading back into the Amylaar driver.  It has lambda closures and seems pretty solid, although there aren't many mudlibs publicly available as examples.  I know BatMUD runs on it.

FluffOS is probably my last choice for the simple reason that it's currently not really maintained, and has some issues.  However, there are quite a few mudlibs available out there to use as comparisons to see what you'll need to change in your own.  If you do pick that one, the 2.x branch is the stable and not-really maintained version that you will likely want.  The 3.x branch was spunoff to try and convert to C++ and has evolved to be incompatible in many ways.

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
Please submit issues you encountered in FluffOS 3.0 to https://github.com/fluffos/fluffos

Thanks.

Offline Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TheMud.ORG
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
FluffosV2