Author Topic: ShazbotOS v0.1.1  (Read 5734 times)

Offline llyr

• Pottymouth
    • View Profile
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« on: October 15, 2006, 08:50:39 PM »
ShazbotOS

=========

ShazbotOS (SOS) is an attempt to modernize and simplify the MudOS LPC driver, specifically in regards to its configuration and build process. Currently it is a minimalistic distribution that is only expected to work on a modern, current Linux distribution with the Dead Souls 2.1.1 mudlib. If it works for anything else, it is purely by coincidence.

----

It is available http://llyrland.slayn.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=15&Itemid=28">here.

It's based on MudOS v22.2b14, but is not in any way affiliated with the MudOS distributions. The initial release has no major changes from the v22.2b14 distribution other than the build system and making the heartbeat interval a runtime config options. I've tested it on Ubuntu 6.10 Beta (Edgy Eft) and CentOS 4.3 with Dead Souls 2.1.1 -- it compiles and runs nicely for me. There are caveats, though.

1) This is a very rough, initial release. Dead Souls' local_options are the default and the configure scripts do just enough to compile and install the driver binary. For any configuration changes you'll need to edit local_options or the source yourself. Obviously this will improve as more actual configuration options get (re)added to the configuration scripts.

2) I'm not a VM or compiler expert. I don't even really know autotools all that well. This is a learning experience and I'm sharing the results. If it works for you, that's awesome. If it doesn't.. I'm working on it. It'll go faster if you give feedback and help.

There's a mailing list set up at http://groups.google.com/group/shazbotos">http://groups.google.com/group/shazbotos for support and submitting bug reports/patches/hatemail/etc.

Enjoy. :)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »

Fantastic.

Seeing the MudOS project revived (under whatever name)

warms my heart.

Based on what I have read, it is not necessary to ask for

the blessing of the MudOS maintainer to do this.

However, it can't hurt to drop him a line.

Who knows, he might even be up for handing off the MudOS name

itself, if you present a reasonable case for it.

Send me an email or mudtell for his contact info, if you

want it and don't already have it.

Offline llyr

• Pottymouth
    • View Profile
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »

It's important to note, I think, that this is not meant to supplant MudOS development. I'm hacking the driver, but I'm not a driver hacker.

I wouldn't expect any functional improvements in the actual operation of the driver anytime soon. For performance and functionality, it should remain pretty much on par with MudOS, and I'll be porting over any further MudOS development that surfaces as best I can.

Of course, that -may- change in the future should my understanding of the driver code increase substantially, or if other skilled people contribute to the project, but for the moment this should really be taken as MudOS with a different/better build system, rather than as any significant development.

--

Llyr, who's currently folding in package activation into the build scripts.

Offline saquivor

• BFF
    • View Profile
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »

Llyr,

I onced helped Crat get MudOS working on Windoze again by hacking the code slightly and checking config of Mingw/Msy/Bison. I did notice will working on Windows version, that it may be interesting to make the windows and linux versions of the driver more compatible by hacking the pre compiler statements a bit more.

I was wanting to get round to looking at passing HeartBeats from the driver to the mudlib so congrats on just getting on with it and doing it.

Would love to help you, I am no expert but I am willing to help in what ever way I can.

Regards,

Saq.

PS I will be away for a week from 21 Oct. So will catch up with you when I get back.

Offline capo

• Friend
    • View Profile
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:36:17 AM »

Llyr if you know how to, or have the ambition, to change the way the parser works I would definately be interested in this.

What I mean is that a lot of us have expressed frustration over the way MudOS parses certain commands.

For instance:

look first orc

look third orc

could be

look orc 1

look orc 2

Offline Atomic

• BFF
  • To infinity and beyond!
    • View Profile
ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 06:45:11 AM »

As for that parser-stuff, I'm all for numeric use of items

in stead of 'natural parsing'.

I've found through my years of mudexperience that playing them

works far better typing:

unwield sword 2, wield sword 1, get shield 5

then typing:

unwield sword two, wield first sword, get fift shield

etc.

Any easy ways to convert the parser into using numbers in

stead of names?

To infinity and beyond!
Always remember that the early bird gets the worm first, but the fi...*SNAP*...second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline sojan

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Re: ShazbotOS v0.1.1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:44:19 PM »
Thought I'd also note that FluffOS, the discworld driver, is basically a MudOS offshoot thats had a number of bugfixes applied to it as well as various memory leaks patched up and Wodan has stomped on quite a few crashers as well.

J

Offline purlow

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 07:19:24 PM »
Thought I'd also note that FluffOS, the discworld driver, is basically a MudOS offshoot thats had a number of bugfixes applied to it as well as various memory leaks patched up and Wodan has stomped on quite a few crashers as well.

J

Can you comment on the differences between FluffOS v1.22 and v2.3? If there has been substantial progress made between those versions, would it be possible to get a release of the current driver? I understand that you probably don't want to release the mudlib, but perhaps a driver release would be good?

Thanks,
Purlow

edit: changed 1.33 to 2.3 - I hadn't noticed there had been a change to the major version! :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:23:12 PM by purlow »

Offline sojan

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 02:22:03 PM »
Me pesonally I'm no driver expert, I used to hack around in it many moons ago but not any more.  Incidentally - there will be a new release of the DWlib some time this year, it's just a case of getting the time to put it together.

However in terms of whats changed most of fluffos 1.22 all the way up to it's last release was about stability - anyonw who played DW regularly can't help but remember some of the crashes that plagued us for a while. Wodan and the team hit quite a few crashers. The only other major stuff in those releases is the MXP support.

2.0 however focuses on some new stuff - mainly for us but it's probably useful elsewhere as well.  The main bulk is that since we're now running on an AMD64 platform Wodan started to shift stuff to 64bit so ints have now gone to 64bit amongst various other 64bit changes, a few class manipulation efuns were added and we put iconv support in so everything is now UTF-8 and some efuns have been added to help with that, most of the rest of the stuff is just bugfixes for the time being.

Fluffos 1.40 should be availible for general download - I think the link is just broken so I'll fix that, Wodan plans to make fluffos 2.x availible just as soon as he gets some compilation issues sorted - currently it works and runs happily but only if you compile it with very specific compiler options and versions of gcc, once he's sorted that it'll be availible from the DW webpages.

J
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:38:14 PM by sojan »

Offline purlow

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 06:38:55 PM »
Me pesonally I'm no driver expert, I used to hack around in it many moons ago but not any more.  Incidentally - there will be a new release of the DWlib some time this year, it's just a case of getting the time to put it together.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

-Purlow

Offline saquivor

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Is ShazbotOS still an ongoing concern?

Could MXP be supported via LPC directly, or would it need to included in driver?

What are peoples views about adding MXP to MudOS?

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
MXP is something that another admin of Neverland has requested also, so I would be interested in this response.  Whichever way MXP, MCP and MSP can be implemented, how difficult would it be to add to Dead Souls?

Daelas