Author Topic: Distlib, distlib, wherefore art thou distlib?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
Distlib, distlib, wherefore art thou distlib?
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:10:46 AM »
As the days of 2013 slowly lie down and fall asleep, beside the cozy fire of New Year's Eve, and the leftover aromas of the Christmas feast, all is quiet.  Yet one tiny brow remains furrowed, as something seems amiss.  The tree twinkles, the snow glitters, and the logs crackle.  But a chill draft slithers along the floor, swirling around the edges of the soft warm rug, stirring a few motes of dust.

The long awaited Discworld distribution lib is missing!!!

How could we have forgotten such an important guest?  I'm sure we even left a place setting for him, yet... nobody remembers seeing him.  In fact, he hasn't been seen for many years now.  I'm sure we sent out the invitations, and I'm pretty sure we heard rumor of him being on the way, yet his chair sits empty.  The dog, curled up at the foot stool, awaiting its master's return, and blinking sadly into the fire.

Has anyone seen the Discworld distlib?  Please help!  It's cold out there, and if he's run off the trail, he could be lost forever!

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
Re: Distlib, distlib, wherefore art thou distlib?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
"Wherefore" means "why". HTH, HAND.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:36:16 AM »
Aye, as in "WHY IS IT NOT HERE?"  :'(

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:18:54 AM »
So, out of curiosity, if YOU were wanting to start a Discworld lib project, would you start with the 2006 release, or is there another discworld-based mudlib out there that's more recent but less well known?

Yes, this is a shameless bump, but also a reasonable question, considering the unreasonableness of anyone starting a new mud in 2014. :)

Offline sojan

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »
Basically every time I sit down to put it together real life intervenes and robs me of the free time I had!

Unfortunately DWlib has become rather dependent on lots of bits these days and making it all work nice with things like all the area code missing takes a bit of time.

I will get there eventually - I promise.  Exactly _when_ is anyones guess tho.

J

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
You need to take a contract out on that "real life" fellow and break his kneecaps! *grin*

I'd offer to help, but I fear I don't know the OLD mudlib layout well enough to do you much good.  I'll be happy to put things into a git repository once I can get my hands on it though!

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
Hey, only 3 more days to get that new discworld distribution released in 2014! *poke* *grin*

Offline wodan

• BFF
  • Drink and code, you know you want to!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
shame the betting companies haven't picked this up yet, I'd love to know the odds for 2015, before 2020, before 2100 ;)

Offline Newt

• Pottymouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
I'm thinking that "no time soon" is a safe bet....until it isn't, of course.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:03:04 AM »
WOOT!  I cast 'raise dead' upon this thread and command Zombie Discworld to arise and manifest as a new mudlib release for Christmas of 2015!

Seriously though Sojan... we need this before November of 2016, which will be the apocalypse here in the US. :)

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 05:15:56 AM »
*sounds of gunfire and explosions*

Hey... *cough*  to anyone reading this...

*BOOM!*

*cough*  It's almost too late for us.  Emperor Trumpu has declared martial law, because he thought it was marital law.  The Russians used our email servers against us, and the millions of Walmarts around the country turned out to be Chinese troop staging areas.

*whistling rocket sounds, then another big explosion*

We never stood a chance.  They offered us cheap NES classic emulators on Black Friday, and cut us down like grass beneath a lawn mower.

I'm sending this message back in time, from the future!  In 2019, it's too late to do anything... but there's still ONE chance for you to stop the apocalypse!  Release a new Discworld distribution lib before Christmas, 2017!

Save the mudlib, save the world!

Oh no... Education Secretary DeVoss, Crown Prince Pence, and Emperor Trump are starting to form Dumbtron!  It look like that's the...

*end of transmission*