Author Topic: FluffOS on (Synology) NAS  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Atomic

• BFF
  • To infinity and beyond!
    • View Profile
FluffOS on (Synology) NAS
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:45 am »
Question for the FluffOS experts: do you think it's feasible to get FluffOS to compile on a Linux-based NAS system? In my case a Synology brand.
Always remember that the early bird gets the worm first, but the fi...*SNAP*...second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline skout23

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Re: FluffOS on (Synology) NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:23:19 am »
Your Synology devices is a full Linux install and there are mods out there to add features to it.  IPKG / SynoCommunity etc etc.  depending on your device make/model if may be a simple matter of downloading and installing the libs and a toolchain for gcc, and configure/make/make install fluffos.  Atom based should be quite easy, I am fairly certain that an ARM based would not be too far fetched either.

http://www.synocommunity.com/

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Overview_on_modifying_the_Synology_Server,_bootstrap,_ipkg_etc

Good luck,
Skout ***all this being said backup and read a lot before making any drastic changes to your NAS***

Offline Atomic

• BFF
  • To infinity and beyond!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:29:26 am »
Thanks! I'll have a look into this and will (hopefully) post results later.
Always remember that the early bird gets the worm first, but the fi...*SNAP*...second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:40:21 am »
What we really need is FluffOS running on one of those android watches.  The Pebble, I think it's called? :)

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:24 am »
with my fix, 32bit build should be pretty stable now.

Offline silbago

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 06:11:38 am »
I had fluffos and mudos running just fine on my Synology, but had to do lots of stuff to the server to make it happen. In turn caused problem for the server on other things, maybe because Im a sucker but still. The Synology servers are highly customed to do the things they are made for, so I'd advice against it unless you know what you are doing. I had to reset firmware in the end :)
Participating in development on Final Realms. telnet://fr.hyssing.net:4001

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:56 am »
what did you have to do? can you share your story?

Offline silbago

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »
Some time back in 2010, and I had some help so I dont know the details.
Installation of ipkg, then gcc and other tools required. Since the Synology OS is Linux Busybox it is very stripped, need to install a few basic GNU libraries and so forth. Bazaar/CVS was installed with other fun things. Installing/compiling the mud wasnt a problem once the busybox was made a bit fatter :)

The Synology box has a stripped OS and rather weak hardware (DS 710), so mocking about in shell without being familiar with unix is a bad idea imo.

It made the box unstable, so the file-server capacities that was the main thing started to make havoc on me. Im not a professional unix-admin so I just reinstalled firmware from scratch (as Synology support suggested I should), I just then bought a dedicated box to play around with and have fun with for mud development.
Participating in development on Final Realms. telnet://fr.hyssing.net:4001