Author Topic: New to DS3.6 - Room Co-ordinates/Ascii Maps  (Read 2407 times)

Offline dragosani

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
New to DS3.6 - Room Co-ordinates/Ascii Maps
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
Hi all,

Fairly new to DS lib and having a look through to see if it'll work for me and come across something I'd like to remove (eventually)....

I've searched through this forum for the past few hours to try and see if this has been posted up elsewhere but could not find anything yet, and as I haven't trawled through the lib yet I haven't found any pointers yet...

But, I'd like to remove the ascii mapping within the game for players and also the mapping for coders - want to rely solely on the wordage and imagination for players to know how to get around....

So, was asking for some advice about where to start to look within the lib to remove this functionality?

Thanks in advance, apologies if this has been posted before, I seriously could not find it.....

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
Re: New to DS3.6 - Room Co-ordinates/Ascii Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
The ascii map feature is called minimap. The coordinates feature is called showgrid. You can turn both of these features off with the following commands.
Code: [Select]
minimap off
showgrid off

There are several ways you can handle turning this off. I think the simplest way is to set those two features to off at player creation for each character, then remove the commands from the player so they cannot alter them.

The alternative is to remove the code entirely from the game. This is not a simple mod. You will need to go to each place where these features are called and remove them from the code. You will need to have an expert grasp of the ds lib to do something like this. But it can be done.

Good luck
Detah

Offline dragosani

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:21:16 AM »
Thanks for the info....seems to work for players (but not creators), but that's ok :)

Offline detah

• BFF
  • Ruler of 2D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »
I am unclear about how it does not work for creators. I just did showgrid off and minimap off and it worked for my creator character.

Do you mean the commands are still there for creators? To remove the commands, you will need to physically remove (or rename to *.old) the command files from the appropriate places.
/lib/cmds/minimap.c
and
/lib/cmds/creators/showgrid.c
Then update the cmd daemon.
This will remove the commands from the game entirely. Even creators will not have access to those commands (unless they code it for themselves again).

Hope this helps.
Detah@Arcania

Offline dragosani

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
Thanks, it wasn't the removal of the commands I required.....I tried showgrid off and minimap off for players and this works fine (thank you), but tried the same for my creator (admin) account and this does not turn off the minimap or grid....Not to worry though as it was the players view I was concerned about....

Cheers :)