Author Topic: Is there a vim or equivalent for mud use?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
Re: Is there a vim or equivalent for mud use?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
Yeah, there's also no need to stick your screwdriver through the cheese grater to get at the screw.  Seriously, you want to use a charmode editor routed through an LPmud driver with all its synchronous delays?  I'd hang myself in an hour.

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
pls read my previous posts in this thread first.  The idea is to have a new mode called EXTERNAL, which basically opens/hooks up an parallel channel that can exchange message faster than main LPC loop, so there will be no delay.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
you mistook my words.  I am still talking about running something in external mode  and relying message directly to/from user to that external program.

No, I was talking about ftp.  When you use your local client to ftp files down, you have to either implement ftp in LPC (been done) or modify an ftp server to use mud security (been done).  You were suggesting sftp, and I was saying that isn't as viable... few mud clients will support it, and it would require you to do the same kind of thing.. either ssh routines in LPC (bad), or an sftpd that knows mud security.

I suddenly have a great idea of how permission problem can be solved : You never simply never edit file directly :

1) you call efun(file)  in lpc,  driver checks permission to read, if passed, copy it to a secure place like MUDLIB_ROOT/tmp/yourname/
2) launch the external program  that chrooted to that directory.
3) after external program exit(you save and exited the editor) .  driver check permission to write, and copy it back overwriting the file.

bonus point : driver also create a lock during your edit so others couldn't cause conflict.

That works for a single file, but see my comments above.  When I work on code, I normally want to open other files to reference them.  Using ftp, I can do that because I can mimic the mud's directory structure locally, and download any files I have permission to get.  Using a local editor, I'd need that editor to know the mud permissions to work the same way.

But, like I said, if you can open a shell that way first, see how that works.  If you can play nethack through it, you can do pretty much anything else you want. :)

Offline nfa

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
We at Final Realms got a pretty nice editor using charmode (with customized efuns compiled in the driver). It is super basic but it's very nice to use when you need to do those quick fixes where doing it over ftp would take longer.

Quick demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mm43Pwk3o&feature=youtu.be

Offline wodan

• BFF
  • Drink and code, you know you want to!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
looks pretty nice for a mud side editor, shame none of the mudclients seem to support char mode

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
Not doing something because of limitations on mud clients, which were designed for muds from the 1980's, is like inventing the screw and having people refuse to use it because all they have is hammers.

Why do people need mud clients?  If you could have people log in and get the same level of screen control they have from an interactive shell (ssh, rlogin, telnet), you could put all those "client" features directly in the game and have a level playing field.

Offline hells

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
My solution has been to setup a git server (running gitlab) with all the permissions needed and a webhook to automatically update the dev instance on commits.  This lets me give access to developers to specific things and still allow them to have all the tools (whatever they want on the client side) to just do a git commit / push and it shows up after a reload.

So far it works great.