Author Topic: LPC to Web Crossposting.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Holyavenger

• Friend
    • View Profile
LPC to Web Crossposting.
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »

Since communication is a key player in mud development and retention, I was wondering how mud posts could be converted to phpbb3 or any other forum software. 
Outline
Proposed Steps
I Driver Preperation- MudOS or LDmud with MySQL enabled in compilation
II Mudlib Preperation:  Select a Library. Dead Souls/Lima has a BBoard. The latter has newgroups with option of a BBOARD’s In /contrib
III Design: Hopefully, defines for  LDmud or FluffOS defines  for maximum effectiveness.  What would be needed for this communication to work? Hopefully moving beyond just phpBB3 the database would be useful.
Do you think forum software would need a plugin or would it just somehow use the DB?
Any ideas whether this would be useful? I’m just thinking about the IPADs etc that people can access. We cant always telnet in via work.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • A Waste of Time
Re: LPC to Web Crossposting.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
If you're using a codebase that allows you to open sockets, the simplest way on earth would be to have whatever code pushes the user's post into the mud's database ALSO open a socket to a script (perl/python/ruby/whatever) that knows how to talk to your forum software.

That can be through HTTP and actually doing all the right submits as if it were a web browser clicking the buttons, or it could be by accessing the backend database directly (mysql/postgres/etc) and pushing the data into the right tables.

Note that if you want to use the pretend-browser approach, you could just do it in LPC instead of an external script... but the script would be simpler and less prone to issues.  By that, I mean if your web server acts up, you'd prefer only the script to be hung, not your mud. :)

Offline Camlorn

• Friend
    • View Profile
Re: LPC to Web Crossposting.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
Have a look around the epitaph website--I don't have a URL at the moment.  Drakkos has done this, quite extensively, and plans to continue doing it more extensively.  He's got phpbb and a blog, and he's linked authentication and such together.  I don't know enough web technology, not really, to talk about this, but his mud, iirc, can post to wordpress from in the mud.