Author Topic: channel list update  (Read 2330 times)

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
channel list update
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »
Hey, just a quick question...

Is there any way to force the router to update your channel list?  I've been trying to shore up some old I3 code for my DikuMUD, and it had the bad habit of only saving channels which you had locally configured, and so every time it rebooted (which on a Diku is every time you change anything), it forgot the entire list of channels.

The problem is, I can't seem to tell when/if that list ever gets updated.  I know it does, occasionally, when the phase of the moon is right.. but it would be nice if I could send something to the router to say "Hey, please send me the list of channels now".

The mudlist itself updates nice and snappy.

Alternatively, is there a packet I can send to each MUD asking for a list of channels they host?  I could loop through the mudlist a minute or two after reconnecting if that's easier.

Offline Newt

• Pottymouth
    • View Profile
Re: channel list update
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
the spec says: The router will respond to channel list changes with the chanlist-reply packet.

So maybe you could fake a change, like removing a non-existent channel, and get a chanlist.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
Re: channel list update
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
Hmmmm, somewhat dangerous.  Well, annoying rather than dangerous I guess.  Since my channel list only contains the 4 channels I happen to listen to (even after 12 hours), trying to remove some arbitrary channel would be an error, either in that it doesn't exist, or that I don't have permission (in the case that I guess the name of somebody else's channel).

It would probably be safer to create a new channel and then delete it, although that's a good amount of work for the router every time the driver reboots. :(

Might be worth a try, just to see if it works though.