Author Topic: LPMuds.net back up  (Read 2220 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
LPMuds.net back up
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Thanks for your patience, everyone. I owe you an explanation why the site has been down so long.

My web host for lpmuds.net has been Wolfpaw and for six years, they (specifically Dale), have been responsive, attentive, helpful, and just all-around a delight. I think we've had maybe a day or two downtime on lpmuds.net due to hosting issues in all those six years before this. When the server went down I sent Dale an email, and I figured it would get straightened out that day or the next.

Unfortunately it didn't, and unfortunately I then had to travel overseas for work, which made it super hard to devote the necessary attention to bring the site up somewhere else.

So finally after a long week of not being able to sneak unix admin time in at work (the office I'm at breaks ssh, and yes, I tried many workarounds) and not having the brainpower to get the job done after work, today I finally sat down in a backpacker bar (don't ask) and used their wifi to ssh out and set up lpmuds.net on a DB and webserver running on my VPS, using the most recent SQL dump from the old DB.

I did nighly backups, so I'd be very surprised if anything was lost.

It's been a long time and I don't have a response back from Dale. Part of my wait was also a fervent wish that he'd just fix it. I don't know why it's down at this point, and I really don't want people to assume ill will, bad faith, or anything negative on Dale's part at this point. I really just don't know what's going on, and neither do you, and for all we know there's some tragedy going on that we all just need to respect. Let's just wait and see what shakes out from that.

In the meantime, please accept my heartfelt apologies for the downtime. You guys know how devoted I am to the community, and I hope you understand now a little why it took so long to get this thing back up, and I hope you're not worried this is evidence of Yet Another Dying Part of Mudding...it's just a freak incident in the 6 year history of the ite that hopefully won't happen again.

-Crat

Offline FallenTree

• BFF
    • View Profile
Re: LPMuds.net back up
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:47:13 AM »
Thanks for keeping this site alive!

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
Re: LPMuds.net back up