Author Topic: LPMuds Admin note on new registrations  (Read 3734 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
LPMuds Admin note on new registrations
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
Heya folks, in the past couple of weeks this site has been getting hosed down with hundreds of spam registration attempts per day.

Unfortunately I'm so busy at work right now that I won't have time to investigate and install countermeasures for the short term.

Eventually we'll have some maintenance and we'll be back up with nifty new counterspam, but for this week I'm disabling new registrations.

If you tried to register and never got approved, or if you are a new user that wants to register, send me an email. My email name should be easy
to figure out, and I have an email address at comcast dot net.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: LPMuds Admin note on new registrations
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
Ok, step one is mostly done, we've upgraded from the older version "1" of SMF to version "2",
which per se has some security improvements and also allows for integrating more advanced
antispam when I get around to it.

It's not as spiffed up and customized as I'd prefer, but we'll get there. Please report problems and issues,
as opposed to "the new color makes me uncomfortable".

Thanks

-Crat

Offline dravster

• Acquaintance
  • Hippy coder
    • View Profile
    • Elenia
Re: LPMuds Admin note on new registrations
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
As a recently joined member, may I say thanks for the work Crat is doing on this!  I think we can all appreciate how much time and effort is required to maintain these sorts of things when we all have busy "Real Lives" [tm] to deal with first!