Author Topic: FluffOS feature requests for 2.23+  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Nulvect

• BFF
    • View Profile
FluffOS feature requests for 2.23+
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
  • 1. Compile-time option to enable the use of "struct" as an alias for the "class" type.
  • 2. The ability to turn on tcp-keepalive on a connection. If this has to be a compile-time option that enables keepalives on all connections then so be it, but being able to just call set_keepalive() on a player-by-player basis would be preferrable.

Thanks for any consideration here.

Offline Raudhrskal

• BFF
  • The MUD community needs YOUR help!
    • View Profile
Re: FluffOS feature requests for 2.23+
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »
Code: [Select]
#define struct classin global include file,
a call to send a "" or a null byte or something in player's heart_beat or some other regularly executed place...

>_>
<_<
* Raudhrskal hides!
I think, therefore i may be wrong.
Please note that if you met a Raudhrskal in a place that's not related to muds, it wasn't me. *sigh*... back when I started there was zero hits on google for that name...

Offline Nulvect

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
I'll try these out, thanks.

I still think it would be better if they were built in to the driver - it makes a lot more sense for network connectivity options to be handled at that level, and being able to have the driver itself recognize 'struct' would help spread the idea that those variables are not, in fact, classes.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:14:36 pm »
Personally, I'd vote for a global search/replace of the word "class" with the word "struct", since the abomination that's currently called a class is much more of a struct than anything else.

People who actually used the thing (anyone???) can #define class struct if they don't want to do the same global S&R on their mudlib...

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:34:42 pm »
Y'know, I had this guy who used to code for me hack some version or another of MudOS so that classes actually were functional lightweight objects, doing so Perl-style -- designating an object where the methods for the class lived.  He said it was pretty easy.  I could've sworn he said he submitted patches for it, too.  You guys might want to look into that.

Offline Dworkin

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:31:02 pm »
Y'know, I had this guy who used to code for me hack some version or another of MudOS so that classes actually were functional lightweight objects, doing so Perl-style -- designating an object where the methods for the class lived.  He said it was pretty easy.  I could've sworn he said he submitted patches for it, too.  You guys might want to look into that.

I know this guy who rewrote some version or another of LPmud, and implemented actual light-weight objects.  But his server is quite obscure, and few people would consider using it.

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
I know this guy who rewrote some version or another of LPmud, and implemented actual light-weight objects.  But his server is quite obscure, and few people would consider using it.

Aw, but I'm sure lots of people like the server your "friend" wrote.  Even if your "friend" hates native function pointers and fully persistent worlds are scary because ZOMG HOW WILL WE WRITE A CHEESY POINTLESS WHACK-THE-MONSTER GAME WITHOUT RESETS?

I even know somebody who wrote a nice Wikipedia article about that server that credits it for pioneering lots of innovations in the virtual world space. :)

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »
Oh come on guys.

A pointless whack-the-monster game is easily done without resets.  You just use the old AD&D roleplaying rulset and have each room roll a random number when someone walks into it to see if a random encounter happens.  If so, you roll to figure out which critters, how many, what loot, load 'em up and BAM!

No need for any silly "reset" nonsense.