Author Topic: RCS  (Read 3606 times)

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
RCS
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've been looking at the rcs_handler and I'm running into a problem with the external start.
Does anyone know of a revision control system coded strictly in LPC?

Daelaskai

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
Re: RCS
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Hey folks,

Just as a follow up, if anyone knows of an RCS system coded strictly in LPC or can advise on
what I should keep in mind when coding one, such as what manner the committed revisions
should be stored/accessed, etc...  My ideal system that I would code would be something
that works stock on most FluffOS or MudOS drivers and could possibly be ported to Gurbalib
with a minimal amount of pain.

I was looking at the Discworld RCS system and it looks like it should work, though I'm on a
Windows test mud and am not sure how to get the external_start to work (probably because
whatever files the RCS system are accessing outside of the mud environment are not on my system).
If, on the other hand, anyone knows how to locate the missing files to get the Discworld system
to work, I'd appreciate that, though I'm not holding my breath for anything to work well with
Windows (especially Vista).  This would most likely defeat my primary goal of a easily portable
system for any MUD administrator.

Daelaskai

Offline sojan

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »
DW uses the GNU RCS sources compiled and installed locally into the muds directories to allow for permissions etc.  If you have the CO, CI, RCSDIFF, RCS and RLOG commands available then define them as externals in the config file and you should be fine.

HTH

J

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:11 AM »
I appreciate the reply.  I'll consider doing that if I can't determine how to code something strictly in LPC.  Thanks.

Daelaskai

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
I would imagine you could also use other (more modern) repository systems if they can be made compatible.  IE: write a shell script called "ci" that does the correct things to make git/subversion/etc. do the same thing.

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
I've used git and I like it a lot, but I've never programmed shell scripts or done any driver work,
which is why I'm attempting to write an LPC version control system.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
While I've nothing against writing your own revision system in LPC.... that's an awful lot of work just to avoid learning bash!

Offline daelaskai

• BFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
I'll look into learning bash, but since I'm on a windows machine, I'm not sure how
well that will work, hence the LPC version, unless the mud can run DOS commands.

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
As I always tell people trying to muddle through running stuff designed on (and for) unix systems under Windows... you might want to take a look at setting up a VM.

The easiest way to do unix stuff is on a unix machine, and a virtual machine works just fine.  This site has quite a few linux distributions already setup and ready to run.  http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

You just snag vmware's free player, download the VM, possibly adjust the network settings so it's bridged if you want it to look like another real machine on your LAN, but you don't have to for testing.

If you really just want to slog through with Windows, you'll have to ask Wodan if FluffOS supports running external binaries on it.  I know Windows doesn't do process forking quite the same way, so it may not even be supported.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!