Author Topic: About LP 2.x/3.x  (Read 8034 times)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
About LP 2.x/3.x
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:37 am »
There are various ways to classify this set of code. 2.4.5 can be called a driver, but the lib it used
is often referred to as 2.4.5 as well. 3.x Is often referred to in terms of its lib, but it just as often
is meant to refer to the Amylaar driver, which is the name given to the main LP development
project after Lars semi-retired.

Therefore, let's try not to be pedantic about it, and let's call it the original stuff.

This forum is for discussion of that code.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

LPMud (sometimes shortened to simply "LP") is a MUD variant developed in 1989 by Lars Pensjö (hence the LP in LPMud) that separates the mud game functionality between a virtual machine (known as the driver) and world-building components in the LPC programming language (known as the mudlib).

Lars had been an avid player of TinyMUD and AberMUD. He wanted to create a world with the flexibility of TinyMUD and the power of AberMUD, Furthermore, he did not want to have sole responsibility for creating and maintaining the game world. He once said, "I didn't think I would be able to design a good adventure. By allowing wizards coding rights, I thought others could help me with this." The result was the creation of a new, C-based, object-oriented programming language that made it simple for people with minimal programming skills to add elements like rooms, weapons, and monsters to a gaming world.

To accomplish his goal, Lennart Augustsson convinced Lars to write what today would be called a virtual machine, the LPMud driver. The driver managed the interpretation of LPC code as well as providing basic operating system services to the LPC code. By virtue of this design, Lars ensured that poor programming of infinite loops, memory leaks, and other common programmer foibles by game builders would not harm the overall stability of the game. His choice of an OO approach made it easy for new programmers to concentrate on the task of "building a room" rather than programming logic.

Offline r2d2

• Acquaintance
  • Ayatollah of Rocknrollah
    • View Profile
    • Broken World MUD
Re: About LP 2.x/3.x
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:24:09 am »
Yay nice board!

I like Amylaar in a way, probably because it is, in a way, one of the original bits of our driver. Or isnt ldmud improved amylaar? i might be wrong there...
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke

Offline Randalar

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:39:26 pm »
Actually, Amylaar is a person who worked on the driver for a bit of time. ;)  Currently, the driver is being developed by Lars Duning, but my understanding is it does follow the line from the version that the other Lars started.  But to answer the question re: LD an improved version of Amylaar, the answer would be yes.  In fact on the LDMud home page, Lars states specifically, "LDMud started as a project to clean up and modernize Amylaar's LPMud gamedriver."

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:52:51 pm »
Is this the right place to discuss LDMud?  (If so, should the forum perhaps be renamed LPMud 2.x, Amylaar, and LDMud?)

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:39:32 pm »
It's a good question. AFAIK, the default LD lib is explicitly based on 2.4.5 (even the name is lp-245).

I'm not sure I'm inclined to call the lib "LDMud" if the developer himself didn't do that.
AFAICT, "LDMud" refers to the driver.

Am I misunderstanding?

-Crat

Offline chaos

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:58:24 am »
Somewhat.  It's discussion of LDMud the driver that I'm concerned with, not whatever lib comes with it.

Offline chaos

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:59:36 am »
Which I suppose means that I should observe that this forum is under "Lib Discussion", and there's a driver discussion area elsewhere.  Never mind. :)

Offline Holyavenger

• Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:58 am »
Which I suppose means that I should observe that this forum is under "Lib Discussion", and there's a driver discussion area elsewhere.  Never mind. :)

LDmud rarely loads the 2.4.5 lib. Some serious tweaks (to the master.c) had to be made by Nostradamus and I hired him for all the LD related material because it was over my head.