Author Topic: LPMud Commercial Licensing (Basically, "no")  (Read 5262 times)

Offline tigwyk

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
LPMud Commercial Licensing (Basically, "no")
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering, here's a link to a mailing list discussion between previous LPMud coders (for some of the original drivers).

Recently I was googling around to see if any of the LPmuds out there could be used for profit, or torn apart and then used. Unfortunately, it looks like it's a "no" across the board.

Offline Zod

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • Terebi - LPMud in Java
Re: LPMud Commercial Licensing (Basically, "no")
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:37 PM »
Nothing that is a derived work from the original LPMud can be used for profit. That includes LDMud, MudOS and FluffOS.

Shattered World (http://sourceforge.net/projects/swlpc/) claims to be sufficiently separated from LPMud to not fall into that situation. If you accept their view (and I haven't looked into it deeply enough to have a strong opinion one way or the other) then you can use their driver under the GPL, for commercial use.

DGD can be used for a commercial mud, but not under the default license. You need to obtain a specific license for commercial usage. The process for obtaining that license has changed over the years, I'm not sure what the current process is, but the DGD site probably says.

Terebi (http://www.terebi.us/) has an explicit goal to allow it to be used for a commercial MUD, but it's not yet complete enough to really be a viable option.

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
The LDmud team was also looking into the feasibility of comprehensively replacing non-free-license code to get under GPL.  Don't know if that went anywhere.

Offline Zod

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
    • Terebi - LPMud in Java
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »
So that this thread has accurate info...

Following from Dworkin's recent announcement you can now use DGD 1.4 for a commercial MUD without paying a license fee.

So, if you want to create a from scratch, pay-to-play, LPC based MUD without paying any licensing fees, then DGD 1.4 is your best option.
If you're willing to pay a license fee, then DGDMP is probably a better choice (but I've never used it)

Neither of those a particularly good options is you have an existing LPMud or MudOS/FluffOS MUD, as the port to DGD would be a lot of work. If you are in that situation then you don't currently have a lot of options.