Author Topic: new project idea: "Mud" as a windows service!  (Read 3957 times)

Offline tristen620

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
new project idea: "Mud" as a windows service!
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
so, my new idea which i'll try to get going will be to make a windows service that runs dead-souls.  keeps it running/restarts it if needed and so that the cmd window is not visible, i dont really like it being on my start bar, or as a window in the background. :D if i can figure out how, then i'll submit it here too :)

Offline saquivor

• BFF
    • View Profile
Re: new project idea: "Mud" as a windows service!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:36 AM »
If you want to hide the console window. Then take a look at this thread

http://lpmuds.net/forum/index.php?topic=80.0

Saq

Offline tristen620

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »
bwahahah, guess this saves me a bit of time. thank you a bunch :D.

thankyou much, really :) now i can actually keep it going while i'm at work hehe, i dont like leaving my laptops on all the time so my work will generously (read:unknowingly) help me out. we've got a few public terminals that are Always on.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
I would suggest making sure you know how to stop that
process and restart it conveniently. There's nothing wrong with
using Windows for development and stuff, but the Windows
version of DS is more vulnerable to things like loops that
lock up the mud, requiring external intervention in the form
of killing the process.

-Crat

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
Just an FYI... if your company has a decent sysadmin, it's pretty easy to find people who are running weird processes on their work machines.  You can get listings of services running, and it's not too hard to get remote process information either.

What they DO to you when they find it is another matter.  Some may just ignore it, some may yell at you, some may fire you outright.  The sneaky ones will just make a note in your file and you'll wonder why you never get raises or promotions.

If you really want to fart around with a MUD server at work, you should use a Virtual Machine.  It's slightly easier to claim that the VM of Debian Linux is there for you to do cross-platform testing, than to claim that dikumud.exe is something work-related. :)

Offline wodan

• BFF
  • Drink and code, you know you want to!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
Just an FYI... if your company has a decent sysadmin, it's pretty easy to find people who are running weird processes on their work machines.  You can get listings of services running, and it's not too hard to get remote process information either.

What they DO to you when they find it is another matter.  Some may just ignore it, some may yell at you, some may fire you outright.  The sneaky ones will just make a note in your file and you'll wonder why you never get raises or promotions.

If you really want to fart around with a MUD server at work, you should use a Virtual Machine.  It's slightly easier to claim that the VM of Debian Linux is there for you to do cross-platform testing, than to claim that dikumud.exe is something work-related. :)

DIKU??? when did DS change to that??

Offline tristen620

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
lol, very true :D... but haha i work at a hotel, and we are constantly undoing settings and changes made by the guests to our "business center" computer haha, and for a decent sysadmin, they rely on 2 things... norton not to fail them -laugh- and me to come in and fix whatever they couldn't and I'm just an accountant -grin- but the VM is a good idea hehe

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »

DIKU??? when did DS change to that??

You didn't get the memo?  It should have been bundled with the TPS reports...