Author Topic: All commands are Queued!  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Therion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
All commands are Queued!
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »
Right! I'm new at this. I may sound like an idiot. You Have Been Warned.

I'm using the Windows version of the Discworld mudlib available on this site, on a machine running Windows XP.

I got the mudlib installed (I believe) properly according to the directions in c:\dw\INSTALL-windows.txt.

The mud.bat file runs, and I can connect to my test MUD (via MUSHclient, Drakkos told me that I could connect via a MUD client) with no apparent problems.

I can even create a new character, who is (as far as I can tell) a Trustee, and a guest character, who is (as far as I can tell) Notte A Trustee.

The problem is that whenever I use my Trustee to issue any input to the MUD- from commands like "save" or "update file\path\here to nonsense like "wharrgarbl"- the command is queued, and never executes (as far as I can see).

Oddly, I can use my Notte a Trustee character to issue commands- I receive messages like "You are in limbo, noone can hear you," but the command DOES work.

What is the proper syntax to use under Windows? I believe the problem to be (at least partially) that I am trying to use the UNIX commands in Drakkos' manuals, which are apparently and unsurprisingly incompatible with the Windows version.

Specifically, I would like to know the commands to save a character, and to update a file to the test MUD. I may be able to work out at least some things out on my own from there.

Thanks!
-Therion

Offline Therion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
Re: All commands are Queued!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
I was unable to find an edit button, sorry for double posting.

It would appear that commands queue endlessly as described on BOTH Trustee and Normal characters, but not Guest characters.

Guest characters can do some things, like look (You are in limbo... sorry you can't look at anything), pout (You pout. <BR>) and talk (You are in limbo, noone can hear you. <BR> A runtime error occurred. <BR> Please use the "bug" command to report it, describing what you tried to do when it happened. <BR>).

Guest characters suffer from the Queue O' Doom (TM) when they try to certain other things like save (Queued command: save<BR>>).

The <BR>'s appear in the MUD output, and are not a failed attempt to create HTML breaks in this post. :)

Offline Therion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
Right on, I fixed the queue problem and can issue commands as normal.

I still see all the <BR>'s, though, which is annoying but I can live with it.

Now all I have to do is work out how to update files to the MUD using Windows directories.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:22:56 PM »
Right on, I fixed the queue problem and can issue commands as normal.

I still see all the <BR>'s, though, which is annoying but I can live with it.

Now all I have to do is work out how to update files to the MUD using Windows directories.

So...what was the fix?

-Crat

Offline Therion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
I reinstalled the MUDlib and used a different editor (Wordpad instead of Notepad. I was told ANY editor would work... this was Notte the Case) to edit the master.c and dw.cfg files.

The problem with the visible <BR>'s and MXP tags[1] hasn't gone away yet, but at least I can issue commands and code things.

I think the MXP tags are a clientside problem, or a mud-side setting, rather than something I've done to muck up the code.

[1] Like this... "MXP</RoomDescMXP>MXP<RoomExitsMXP>MXP<EXPIRE ExitsMXP>There is one obvious exit: MXP<ExitMXP>southwestMXP</ExitMXP>.MXP</RoomExitsMXP>"

Offline Therion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »
I believe that most of the problems I was having in this thread have been fixed via the age-old method of Tinkering Around With Things Until They Break, Fixing Them, and then Breaking Them Again.

This isn't nearly as mind-boggling as I'd expected.

And look, five posts later, I've found the bloody edit button. Durrrr.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:00:19 AM by Therion »

Offline Garrion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
Hiya,

The MXP is a setting inside MUSHclient.  Go to the MXP section and turn the 'use MXP/Pueblo' to 'No'.

Sounds like you have worked oujt the rest of your issues. Hopefully you will be able to help me out with the thread I am about to start listing my problems....

Garrion.

Offline wodan

• BFF
  • Drink and code, you know you want to!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »
We had only just started supporting mxp at the time, and it's entirely broken in that mudlib release, so don't blame mushclient :)

Offline Garrion

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »
We had only just started supporting mxp at the time, and it's entirely broken in that mudlib release, so don't blame mushclient

Ahh, didn't mean it to sound like a shot at MUSHclient. Just meant that the MXP wasn't working and to get the annoying messages to stop you need to turn off the settings in MUSHclient.  :-X

Garrion