Author Topic: A word from Lars  (Read 3780 times)

Offline lars

• Acquaintance
    • View Profile
A word from Lars
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:53 PM »
Hi,

I got an invitation from Cratylus to say something here. He also asked me for the date of the launch of LPMud. Unfortunately, I don't remember myself. I am happy to see that there is still activity around LPMud and similar applications, although I haven't been involved at all for a long time.

Why?
A good question is, why did I start this idea? Well, something like this:
  • I have always enjoyed games, and especially so computer games. In the beginning of 1980 I played a lot of arcade games. It cost me money, but I got intrigued by the idea to learn how to make games myself.
  • After an education of Master of Science, I found that my strength lay in algorithms.
  • The idea to let players extend the game was mainly due to that I wanted to have fun with the algorithms, and have someone else invent the story. This was quite a stroke of luck, which I didn't realise until later.

Old memory popping up: When I first started to distribute LPMud for free, I look in the ftp-log if someone had downloaded it. I found an IP address, and connected to it with the default port. And sure enough, there the game was, up and running. I was probably inside the game before the new game administrator was there. I think he was extremly impressed by the advanced NPC he met there...

Of course, LPmud was never a one-man work, and most ideas were probably already available in some form elsewhere. I had several friends (and later on a community) that helped me out. Today, I think the the idea with a platform that can be freely extended is extremly powerful. You can see the same concept at Facebook, PC, Linux/Gnu, Google Android, and soon Google Wave, Wikipedia, etc.

Even though inactive in the MUD world, I was busy gaming in related world, WoW, for several years. Losing interest now as there really isn't happening much.

Recently
The last 15 years, I have been working with embedded software in the automotive industry. Far away from gaming, but you have to make a living somewhere. Actually quite fun, even if you don't have much of a user interface.

Future
Will I ever get tired of computer games? What happens to old gamers when they grow old? (I am not yet half way to 100). I am not sure, but I still like gaming. However, you get more and more fastidious. Some new games are just the same as older ones, with better graphics and sound.

Far future
I believe that Virtual Reality will continue to evolve in fantastic ways. Raymond Kurzweil is a fan of mine, even though he might seem to be a little on the optmisitic side.

Offline cratylus

• Your favorite and best
  • Administrator
  • Cratylus@Dead Souls <ds> np
    • View Profile
    • About Cratylus
Re: A word from Lars
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
I'm delighted you took me up on my invitation. Thank you for
coming, and for sharing your thoughts.

It may have been an error on your part, though. While I
know you're "out of the business", I might wind up
trying to contact you for further opinions. Let's hope
I'm not too scary a stalker.

Thank you for your work, and please don't be a stranger
around here.

-Crat

Offline chaos

• BFF
  • Job, school, social life, sleep. Pick 2.5.
    • View Profile
    • Lost Souls
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
Wow.  Lars.  Awesome.

I second Crat's thanks and don't-be-a-stranger. :)

Offline quixadhal

• BFF
    • View Profile
    • WileyMUD
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »
Hi Lars!

I'm happy to hear you're still around and gaming, and as others said, please do stop by once in a while.  It's a privilege to hear from one of the folks who helped create the whole genre.

Offline Atomic

• BFF
  • To infinity and beyond!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »
*drops to his knees and starts polishing Lars' boots as a sign of respect*
Always remember that the early bird gets the worm first, but the fi...*SNAP*...second mouse gets the cheese.